Thursday, October 13, 2011

Snatch those poetry moments

This blog has been sadly neglected in the last few weeks. I've been busy since the end of September, teaching a weekly class, welcoming my new granddaughter into the world, and celebrating Thanksgiving!

I miss the slower, lazier days of summer when I had time to moodle on poetry. I don't feel myself, somehow, when not tending that part of my writing plot. And yet it's the first to go untended, perhaps because it feels so much like play.

That is probably why the quote I found the other day resonated.

"A musician must make his music, an artist must paint, a poet must write if he is to ultimately be at peace with himself." - Abraham Maslow

I also found this great little bit of wisdom from Barbara Crooker quoted in Your Daily Poem. Speaking about her publishing achievements (700 poems published in more than 2000 publications) she credits her success to perseverance as much as talent and says:

"Writing poetry is not putting down whatever comes into your head and leaving it at that, never taking it any further. Poetry involves layers, and a lot of revision." - Barbara Crooker
Hopefully today I'll find time to write another poem... or revise an old one!

1 comment:

Betsy Love said...

I love your blog. I'm glad I stumbled on it!