Friday, July 10, 2009

Poetry Friday - serendipities

All kinds of nature poetry serendipities are begging for a blog post.

On July 1st my monthly Poet's Classroom column, "Nature Poetry," came online. Of course I mentioned Mary Oliver in it.

Then on Monday, I came across this wonderful piece about Mary Oliver's hometown, Provincetown: "The Land and Words of Mary Oliver, the Bard of Provincetown."

Also on Monday Miss Rumphius posted a Monday Poetry Stretch, where she challenged readers to write nature poem recipes!

Yesterday, a poem mentioned in the Mary Oliver article is featured on Writer's Almanac:

The Place I Want To Get Back To

is where
in the pinewoods
in the moments between
the darkness

and first light
two deer
came walking down the hill
and when they saw me

they said to each other, okay,
this one is okay,
let's see who she is
and why she is sitting

on the ground like that,
so quiet, as if
asleep, or in a dream,
but, anyway, harmless;


...read the rest here


As for nature, I've been enjoying not deer, but wild bunnies. This one (or one of his look-alike siblings) has crossed our walking path every morning for three days in a row. Of course the minute after I took his photo, he disappeared.


Which of nature's treats or serendipities have you been enjoying?


*************

This post is part of Poetry Friday, which is hosted today at jama rattigans alphabet soup

2 comments:

jama said...

Violet, how I love to watch the deer in our back yard! We don't have any bunnies, though, because of the foxes. Still, they are miracles and I always feel blessed whenever I get a glimpse.

Author Amok said...

Violet, something like meeting in Oliver's poem happened to me and my kids recently when we were taking a break from a hike. I love how she captures the animal's surprise and questions.