Monday, June 18, 2007

Poetry Critiques

Occasionally I am asked to do poetry critiques. I do offer such a service and previously had a web page which explained it. I have asked for that page to be taken down and am moving the information here. Below is a description of the critique service I offer.


***************

About Critique

Q: What is a poetry critique?

A: A poetry critique is another person's analysis of your poem. A good critique tells you what works in your writing, points out weaknesses and makes concrete suggestions as to how to improve your work.

Q: Can't just anyone critique my poems?

A: Of course. But you may want to safeguard the integrity of your writing by being careful whom you ask for advice. Some things you may want to check are:

* What are the qualifications of this person?
* Does he/she have experience writing in my genre?
* Have I seen examples of his/her work? Is it the kind of poetry I enjoy? (To view samples of my work, read poems I have authored on this blog and find links to more poems here.)

Q: Where is the best place to get critique?

A: Your writer's group is an excellent place to ask for critique. Another option is a critique service. This is critique from a professional writer who charges a fee for a critique. I offer such a service.

Q: What qualifies you to critique my work?

A: In addition to earning an Education Degree with an Academic Major in English (B.Ed. U.B.C. 1972), I am a published, prize-winning poet, who is active in an online poetry forum. I am frequently asked by Nathan Harms, Executive Director of Utmost Christian Writers Foundation, to do critiques for the foundation.

Q: What would one of your critiques look like?

A: My critique will tell you what your poem communicates to me, and what I feel are its strengths and weaknesses - both in concept and technique. I will also give suggestions for improvement. A thorough critique will usually exceed 300 words per poem. Less thorough critiques -- e.g. for a collection of poems -- may be shorter.

Q: What is the cost of a critique?

A: Poem to 40 lines - $15 Cdn / Poem over 40 lines - to be negotiated. I will also consider looking at collections of poems - price to be negotiated.

Q: How do you want the poems sent to you and how do you deliver the critique?

A: Contact me with your request by e-mail. Please include some information about yourself and the poems you want me to critique, including:
- Your name
- Number of poems to be critiqued along with longest and shortest lengths
- Anything else that will help me evaluate your work, such as your approximate age, how long you've been writing poetry, how much poetry you've read (by major/minor poets) and your favorite poet(s).

After we arrive at an agreement and price, you can email or surface mail your poems to me. I will send your critique by email or surface mail (whichever you prefer) after I have received your payment.

***************************

Nathan Harms says about these critiques:

During the past few years, Violet Nesdoly has prepared a number of professional critiques for our association and its members. Her critiques are always thoughtful, thorough and considerate. In fact, when I wanted my own poem critiqued, I sent it to Violet knowing that her input would be valuable and helpful to the development of my work. I recommend her very highly.


Nathan Harms, Executive Director

Utmost Christian Writers Foundation

"The World's foremost foundation for the benefit of Christian poets

No comments: