Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Poetry prompt # 5 - adapted nursery rhyme

Remember the finger play (toe play really) "This little pig went to market"? Today’s poem in the Writer’s Almanac "Counting the Mad" by Donald Justice, is a clever take-off on that. It begins:

This one was put in a jacket,
This one was sent home,
This one was given bread and meat
But would eat none,
And this one cried No No No No
All day long.

(Read entire)

Which reminds me – it’s high time for another poetry writing prompt. I think Mr. Justice’s idea of growing a poem from a child’s a nursery rhyme or finger play would be a fun and interesting exercise. And so that’s my challenge to myself this week: Write a poem based on a nursery rhyme or children’s finger play.

You’re welcome to join me if you like!

(Links to more poems by Donald Justice here.)

No comments: